Braidburn Valley Park has been a public park since 1933. It is located in South Edinburgh in the Morningside/Oxgangs area. The Park is a steep grassy valley cut in two by the Braid Burn which flows north from the Pentland Hills to the Firth of Forth.
The Park covers 11 hectares making it the fourth biggest Community Park in Edinburgh. In 2007, it was awarded Scotland’s first Green Flag for excellence in parks. The Park is open to the public 24 hours a day. It is popular for dog walking, informal sports and relaxing – whether it is playing hide and seek, or seeing cherry blossom from the top of a passing bus.
The Park has a wealth of local history. On its western boundary is Fly Walk – the route that Robert Louis Stevenson followed when travelling between his home in Swanston and the city of Edinburgh. In 1935, 5,000 Girl Guides planted cherry trees in a trefoil shape to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V. A grassy amphitheatre and stage has hosted many outdoor performances.
The Park is also home to an increasing range of wildlife. Local children have created a wildflower meadow to attract more insects and birds. A heron, bats, foxes and even a shy otter make their home in the Park. The burn is clean enough for small trout. The Park has been designated a Local Biodiversity Site reflecting its importance for nature.
The Friends of Braidburn Valley Park was formed in 2002 to give local people the opportunity to have their say in how the Park would be managed and developed. The Friends work in partnership with Edinburgh Council and others to increase people’s use of the Park, as well as its amenity and importance for wildlife.